Growing up, my father’s favorite saying was, “Where there’s a will, there’s a way!”
Ponder my father’s motto as you watch the unfortunate truck driver in this VIDEO.
And note all the things this guy may have had in his favor…
- A SUCCESSFUL OPERATOR – It may not appear like it, but he may have had years of experience as a successful operator without a single mishap
- HIGH PERFORMANCE – He may have been operating a well-oiled machine designed by professionals and assembled by skilled craftsmen
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY – He may have had a state-of-the-art high-tech GPS system that showed the optimal way to his destination
Regardless, there’s one important thing he clearly didn’t have in his favor…someone to help him with his blind spot in order to avoid disaster. He had plenty of will, but he needed a trusted someone to say, “This is NOT the way!”
There are many celebrated figures in the business world whose longevity of success has earned the trust of their followers. People like Jack Welch, Warren Buffet, Tom Peters, Peter Drucker, Jim Collins, etc., but their track record of achievement is only a few decades at most.
How about someone whose history of success isn’t measured in decades or even centuries, but in millennia? And whose sage advice has successfully guided millions if not billions.
Just think if the unguided truckdriver had considered and applied the wisdom below, he probably wouldn’t be so infamous (and likely out of a job).
- “Without guidance, people fall, but with many counselors there is safety.” (Proverbs 11:14)
- “Your plans will fall apart right in front of you if you fail to get good advice. But if you first seek out multiple counselors, you’ll watch your plans succeed.” (Proverbs 15:22)
How about you? You may be a SUCCESSFUL OPERATOR with a HIGH-PERFORMANCE team and ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY, but have you ever had the wheels come off one of your business decisions or ventures?
Maybe you demonstrated the perseverance that’s necessary as a leader, but perhaps your willpower without wisdom was determination with devastation.
Who are the “counselors” in your corner who challenge you and help you avoid catastrophic obstacles in the blind spot of your journey?
It’s one thing to have trusted teammates in your organization, but what about having a council of business owners just like you who…wrestle with decisions having major consequences…need help recovering from bad decisions…want accountability staying focused during growth from good decisions.
Wouldn’t you like someone like that? Where there’s a will, there’s a way.
June 16, 2022